Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Caterpillar in the Dill


I discovered this colorful visitor in my garden a couple of days ago.  It is a caterpillar who will later become a swallowtail butterfly.  He and a friend seemed to be thoroughly enjoying my dill plant for a summer solstice picnic and have since invited other friends over to join them.  They are destroying the plant but they are so interesting looking and the butterflies will be beautiful so I let them stay and eat the dill.  

I really loved the art that spilled forth from their beautiful spirits.  The dill added strong lines as well as a light  feathery  pattern to play with.  I've created a slide show below to share the artwork.  You can click on it to view a larger version or use the buttons at the bottom to pause or move backward and forward through the images.

4 comments:

  1. oh I love your profile pic, just noticed that, is it the one from the tree house in San Antonio? And that you actually know it will be a swallow tail butterfly and you are willing to sacrifice the dill for the butterflies :) I want to see the fabrics you've designed from this, hopefully next time I see you or maybe you will post pics?! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes it is from San Antonio :-) I should be getting my first fabric sample very soon. I've only ordered one because I wanted to see how the colors will transfer and what adjustments I might need to make before I move forward with more but I will definitely share pics when I have them! love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your designs so much, Amy. And you are a SUPERB photographer - that is a gorgeous photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Belle! So happy you stopped by!!

    ReplyDelete